The first storey building has six rooms; the first room is the room of the seven labourers that constructed the building, they were four bricklayers and three carpenters. The foundation of the building is made of bricks, other material used include: woods, nails, inches and zinc; the zinc has been in existence since 1842 and is thicker than current versions of zinc.
The first erection you come in contact with is:
The second room, consists of the historical Agia tree; under the tree the Christians did two things: the first Christians first met September 1842, and the first Christmas December 1842. The tree lasted for 350 years, it fell down 1959. The residents of Badagry then, were Idol worshipper. The people of Badagry celebrated Christmas December, 1923.
The third room was the room of the first teacher in Western Nigeria, named Mr. Claudius Philips. The first primary school was established by Mr. and Mrs. Graft named ‘Nursery of the infant church’ in 1843. The school was later renamed ‘St. Thomas Primary School’ in 1845. During those times people started primary school at the age of 45 and a duration of twelve years; which make the then students of the school finish at the age of 57.
Revd. C.A Gollmer was in charge of the construction of the first storey building in Nigeria, the building cost £325.
The fourth room (upstairs) was the room of the interpreter, Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther. Samuel Ajayi Crowther was captured as a slave when was 12years old; the ‘Crowther’ attached to his name is his master’s name. Then, slaves do not bear their names, they answer to their masters’ names. Bishop Samuel was a slave returnee, captured down to Sierra leone, Freetown. The then residents of Badagry could not speak in English just in Yoruba, so, Ajayi Crowther interpreted the English bible into Yoruba. Bishop Ajayi Crowther was a descendant of Iseyin, Oseogun local government, Oyo state, the grand-child of Ajayi Crowther is Herbert Maculay.
The first English bible in Nigeria is 145 years while the first Yoruba bible (the bible Ajayi translated) is 142 years; a three-year difference.
The fifth room consists of the pictures of the three Reverends (Revd, Gollmer, Revd. Henry Townseed and Revd. Thomas Birch Freeman). The first wooden chair, though only one survived, there were more than one. The early missionary cemeteries pictures were also pasted on the wall.
The Sixth room is the safe where documents and valuable goods like gold, money and others are kept. The series of currencies spent in Nigeria when the missionaries were in Nigeria, the first money in Nigeria was Manela, the second is cowry; recognised by only Africans, third is pounds, fourth shilling, next is penn, the Federal government changed the currency to Naira and kobo in 1973.
The miracle well, which is the first well was dug since 1842. Missionaries dug the well during the slave trade era. The miracle well was the only well that served the people of Badagry during the Missionary era, there were other wells that were dug too; that of 1847 but they are not as pure and clean as that of the miracle well.
The mystery behind the miracle well is that other wells changed colour like the Lagoon; sometimes dirty, sometimes pure but only the miracle well remains pure, natural and safe to drink.
Follow us on twitter @aprecon